Wednesday, October 25, 2006

What I'm Reading Now

Since I last mentioned this subject I have a whole new stack. Oh, whoops, there is one book I am still trying to finish. Hear's what's lying around my kitchen, bedside and other rooms now:

Leading With Love by Alexander Strauch
The role of love in Biblical/church leadership. Truly a humbling book, and one I will refer back to often.

Disciplines of a Godly Woman by Barbara Hughes
Pretty self explanatory I think. Very challenging. No one like dicipline, and it has gotten such a bad rap, but look at what has happened to our scoiety as a result of thinking that we don't need discipline. Based on I Timothy 4:7-8. A serious call to a serious faith.

A Pillar of Iron by Taylor Caldwell
An Historical novel about Cicero and Rome 1 century B.C. and the fall of Rome into complete corruption. . Quite interesting. Based on Cicero's (and his colleauges) letters which were translated by the author herself, it offers much inisight into the book of Romans and also what is happening in our own country right now. But yes, it is fiction and not historically accurate, and yes, the author did write so as to compare Rome to the US, from our American perspective, so, there you have it. But a good novel nonetheless, and thought provoking.

The Peacemaker by Ken Sande
A Biblical look at peacemaking. Very broad and in depth. Sobering.

The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey
"A proven plan for financial fitness". How to get out of debt permanently, save, and pay cash for everything. Great! Oh, and did I mention it's Biblically based?

Last, but certainly not least...

The Saving Life of Christ by Maj. Ian Thomas This is the one I started earlier and didn't get finished. Maj. Thomas is the founder of Torchbearer's International and the Bible Centre's they have around the world. Check it out here http://torchbearers.gospelcom.net/ and here http://www.capernwray.ca/home/ab-who-we-are.htm This is a beautiful book about, well, the saving life of Christ! AWESOME.

In between all that I must get back to my memorization of Philippians. I'm halfway through, but I'm afraid I'm forgetting the first half becasue I laid the project down for awhile. :o/

"Onward and upward!" -C.S.Lewis

I think I need to do a little "lite" reading soon. Any recommendations?! Anyone? Oh yeah, Mom said I need to read "The Number One Ladies Detective Agency" or something along those lines, so I'll have to go to the library tomorrow and see if I can locate it. Hey Emily- got any great new suggestions?! Yours are always good!

4 comments:

Birrd said...

My friend Eve LOVED Pillar of Iron, I should read it. And I loved that ladies detective agency book, whatever it was called.

Supergabesmomma said...

Wow, that is quite a list. I think out of all the books I had on my last list, I maybe finished one! But sadly, I have added a couple more! "Lose and Hate in Jamestown" and "How to Behave So Your Preschooler Will, Too" I've already read the last one, but that was back when Gabe was still an angel and I had the patience of a saint. Times have changed! I really need to apply the principles now! ;o) I remember mom having Pillar of Iron. The cover always intrigued me. Maybe one day...Oh! And Amy mentioned a book you lent here about being anxious? Said it was wonderful. I'd like to check it out.

PS - have you gotten your package yet?! I sent it ages ago!!!

Supergabesmomma said...

Ahem. "Love and Hate" not "Lose" and "her" not "here"

Sheesh - I need to not type when I am so sleepy!

Supergabesmomma said...

Alright, slacker - where are you?!